Everything You Need To Know About Fall Allergies Amongst Pets
Posted: Oct 02 2018
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FALL ALLERGIES AMONGST PETS
While the autumn season may bring an onset of sweater weather, PSL, and beautiful scenery, like Spring, the change in season can spur on unwanted reactions from your pet such as itching and skin infections. To address some of your concerns, we’ve gathered everything you to know about pet allergies in the fall.
1. What are the most common triggers for pet allergies?
Some of the main culprits that trigger allergies amongst pets include dying plants – e.g. weeds (ragweed, sagebrush, tumbleweeds, plantain, cocklebur and lamb's-quarters), moisture, and even mold.
2. Are there specific breeds that are more likely to catch these allergies?
Inhalant allergies are more often found in flat-faced breeds – e.g. bulldogs.
3. What are common symptoms for fall allergies?
The most common symptoms pets with inhalant allergies can experience include:
- Skin rashes – eg. around the stomach or paws
- Excessive paw licking
- Hair loss
- Red eyes
- Fur color change – ie. light colored fur to white or brown
4. What should I do if I notice these allergic symptoms in my pet?
Always make sure to check for any changes in your pet’s behavior. If these symptoms do occur, consult with a vet as soon as possible. Untreated allergies can lead to very painful conditions for your pet such as secondary bacterial or yeast infections.